Apr 1, 2013

Goodbye Daylight Saving - Hello Spring!

Finally, it's officially springtime in Norway!
We now put daylight savings behind us and, have stepped into normal time, brighter mornings and days. When I lived in south California (which during wintertime here in Norway, feels like it was in another lifetime), I remember going straight over to Arizona, and just like that; daylight saving was swiped out. They don't use it there, along with Hawaii and, if I don't remember wrong, a few other places around the world. Doesn't matter though, in So-Cal, at least it stayed above freezing - and that was good enough for me.

So, when we turn into spring mode, leaving the darker hours behind us here in my good old homeland, I feel like my soul starts to again charge up. I slurp up every sun ray I can. Start running again, getting up earlier in the morning and, walking past my Rollerblades in my hallway makes me drool! Ha ha! But, springtime is also a time when I need to feel heavy, before I feel bright and light. It's a transition, where everything again, comes to life, wakes up. It's the same thing with me. But, days like these, helps better then any vitamins and salad bar's: 

I know when daylight saving time turns in, farmers has great issues with the livestock's and their milking cow's. One hour is enough to make the cow's frantic, when the farmers would wait an hour to start the milking. Poor cow's... That's why most farmers (at least the smart ones), make the transition period easier for them, by delaying it a few ten's of minutes every week, until they are on the right track with time. Now as we step out of it, they have to do it backwards. I guess it's the same for us people - at least here up in the north, where it's cold and dark during this period of time. We need a little time to tune back in.

It was during the first world war, that daylight savings was first implemented. It had been suggested long before that time, by among others Benjamin Franklin and, the modern idea of it was first proposed in 1895, by Georg Vernon Hudson. But as mentioned, it was not until the first world war, it was put in use world wide. The reason for this, was simply to save energy and the evening use of incandescent lightning, which was at the time the primary use of electricity. Why? Because of the danger of bombing. Lighted up buildings, streets and more, was the best way for enemy bombers to navigate during that time, and get more accurate hits at late hours. With more blacked out urban areas, the cities were safer. Also, it was to boost spirit! It may sound silly, but we all know, or can at least imagine, that days with more hours of day light, makes our minds and souls much happier and positive, then days that darkens faster. The more daylight there is, the happier minds, and people. It's basic psychology. In Norway's most northern parts of the country, the number of suicides and, believe it or not, the numbers of mental health issues, goes up drasticly during the wintertime. At some places, and this isn't just small villages, but larger urban cities, they have no sun- or daylight at all, for months! For many people, that is a tough situation to handle. 
For me it's ok. It's not a huge issue for me, thank The Maker, but it still affects me. Where I live, at least we have daylight in the darkest time period of winter. A few hours, at least, all though no sun, for months. But I lived up north, and also I lived at the island Svalbard for a few years, which is the last settlement before the North Pole! There it was total darkness, NO light at all, from October till end of February. It takes a tough soul, and strong mind and person, to live there. When you have, it's easy to understand why daylight saving, was first introduced. Now, it's here! We shake the darkness of our shoulders and backs. People are again turning out into the streets. Smiles are again a much more common sight, on people you pass on the sidewalks. It's finally springtime! It's time to start living life again and, live it lots ;)

Have a beautiful spring day!
Til next time!


 

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to thank you for this wonderful read!! I definitely
    loved every little bit of it. I have you book-marked to check out new stuff
    you post…

    Look at my blog dobrika.Ru

    ReplyDelete